Client: 74 year old, retiree in Cannon Beach; no children/pets, loves to entertain.
Room: Living room with old school brick fireplace and 3 north-facing windows.
Request: Create a cozy but sophisticated room with plenty of flexible seating.
- Combine luxurious velvets and patterned textiles on traditional seating, mixed with contemporary casegoods and metallic lighting, to create a warm and cozy room.
- Pick up colors from owner's painting and PNW coastal environment; use copper and gold for accents.
- Demo existing red brick fireplace and surround, replace with electric fireplace (easier for elder client) with lower profile copper surround.
- Cover the wall around the electric fireplace with decorative wood tile to emphasize this architectural focal point.
- Create a secondary focal point with owner's original painting; flank with gold, diamond-shaped wall sconces.
- Cover remaining walls with custom, hand-painted, textured treatment in deep blue from original painting.
- The custom-covered upholstered furniture combine solid velvets with geometric, organic & small scale patterns.
- The wing chairs, upholstered bench & cube ottoman will all have hidden casters for flexible seating.
- Use symmetry to create rhythm and repetition to calm the plethora of textures.
- Pull up existing wall to wall carpet and cover with luxury vinyl planks in "fumed oak".
- Define the conversation area with a silk, hand-made area rug; in light grey found in original painting.
- Convert 3 windows into a wall of french doors with plantation shutters.
- Gift client plants to cozy up the room.
- Final effect: woods, metals, plus textiles and greenery combine to create an inviting room that reflects the colors and mood of the PNW coast.